Getting started with the Alchemy Toolkit system couldn't be simpler, you will need:
- At least three players: you need at least three players; one to be the Questmaster (or QM for short), and the other two to be the Playable Characters (or PC for short). In general, three to five players suits ATK best.
- A 'Hero Sheet', and somewhere to take notes: The Hero Sheet will document your characters vital statistics, and throughout the course of your adventure you'll probably need to take a few notes so bring a notebook or something like that to keep track of what happens in the course of your adventures (QMs: it might be advisable to complete a Hero Sheet for important Non-Playable Characters (NPCs) that your characters will meet on the course of their adventures).
- Quite a few dice!: Like reality, the only things that are certain are death and taxes (unless on the course of your adventures you find a way to eradicate wither of these!). So to simulate the uncertainty of life, you will need dice. The dice you will need are:
- Situation Die: The Situation Die (SD) is a ten-sided die and will be the most prevalent die used throughout the game. The Situation die needs to be rolled whenever the outcome of a decision your hero makes is uncertain. "Can I jump this pit?", roll the SD! "Can I sneak up on this pirate?", roll the SD! "Can I turn invisible?", roll the SD!
- Destiny Die: The Destiny Die (DD) is a special 4-sided die that will be used a lot throughout the course of your adventure. The destiny dice will be used to modify the Situation Die result. The die may represent a bonus or a penalty. It is recommended you have at least 3 DDs.
Everything else is completely optional, and not essential to play a game using ATK.
Next: Hero Sheet